The Scotland Historical Society are the conservators of the Edward Waldo House which has a very long history in Scotland. Built in 1715, it remained in the Waldo family until 1975 and has a wonderful story to tell. The 10 acre property is also home to the Society’s annual Farm Day event, held on the third Saturday in May
Hours: By appointment
Located on the campus of Norwich Free Academy, the Slater Museum awakens visitors to the richness and diversity of the human experience through art and history. For more than one hundred years, the Museum has displayed and interpreted the best examples of fine and decorative art, and representing a wide range of world cultures of the Americas, Asia, Europe and Africa.
Seniors and Students-$2.00
Children under 12 free
Seasonal, May through October, first and third weekends.
This farmhouse with a collection of Coventry history, built circa 1730, was expanded in 1758 by the Porter family.
“The purpose of the corporation is to perpetuate the memory of the founders or original settlers of the Town of Thompson, Connecticut, and of other national or ethnic groups who have made their to residence here; to record the history of agriculture, industry, and commerce in the town; to record the ecclesiastical history in order to enrich our lives with the knowledge of the spiritual traditions which have existed among us; to encourage the publication and study of the historical traditions of said town; to acquire, hold and preserve documents, and relics, pertaining to the Town of Thompson records of all kinds relating to that history; to mark by suitable monuments, inscription, and other designations, historic places within the limits of the original Town of Thompson; and to encourage and participate in ceremonies observing events in the history of Thompson, Connecticut.
The Ellen Larned Memorial Museum houses a permanent exhibit featuring panels with photographs and information on the ten villages of Thompson. New this year is a special Civil War exhibit featuring the men of Thompson who fought in the war. On display will be artifacts and the uniform worn by the union soldiers.
Hours: May-November 11 a.m-3 p.m.
The original Tourtellotte Memorial High School building, which exists today as administrative offices for the school system, was built in the Greek Revival style. The conerstone was laid in 1907 and the school opened in 1909. The school is named in memory of Dr. Jacob F. Tourtellotte, who was a ships surgeon in the U.S. Navy during the Civil War. The school also houses a small museum, called the “Memorial Room” which contains portraits of Tourtellotte and his family and some of their possessions. It is maintained by the local historical society, and is usually open to the public for tours one Sunday per month.
The Edward Waldo Homestead is a vernacular saltbox house on Waldo Road in Scotland. It was built in 1715, by Edward Waldo, on land along the Shetucket River. He had purchased it in 1702. The house, which later had two wings added, remained in the Waldo family until 1971. Daniel Wa5ldo, who was born in the house in 1762, served as a Chaplain of the House of Representatives from 1856 until his death in 1864. Also born in the house was Samuel Lovett Waldo (1783-1861), portraitist, art critic, and a founder member of the National Academy of Design. When its last owner, Ruth Waldo died in 1975, she bequeathed the house to the Antiquarian & Landmark Society and the surrounding fields to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The house is now a museum operated by the Scotland Historical Society. Each year, the surrounding fields host the Sccotland Connecticut Highland Games.