Studios at MASS MoCA Residency Opportunity for Artists in Puerto Rico Affected by Hurricane Maria
Application Deadline: December 18, 2017, 11:59pm. No application fee.
The Studios at MASS MoCA invites artists in Puerto Rico who have been affected by Hurricane Maria, including artists displaced from the island by the hurricane, to apply for residencies up to 6 weeks. We expect to select at least 2 artists from Puerto Rico. The normal residency fee will be waived, and additional support will be provided for travel and meals.
Participating artists will receive:
- A private studio in attractive space on MASS MoCA’s re-purposed mill campus, with generous natural light, 24-hour studio access, plywood floors, a work table and chair in each studio, and shared slop sinks and bathrooms.
- Housing across the street from the museum, in newly renovated apartments (private bedroom/Queen bed + shared kitchen and bath). These are lovely apartments, but note that it’s communal living (4 people to an apartment) in an active downtown location — sensitive sleepers be advised.
- Reimbursement for airfare and ground transportation costs to/from MASS MoCA, up to $800.
- One communal meal per day, in the company of other artists-in-residence. (We also have volunteers eager to provide the participating artists with additional meals to minimize any costs associated with the residency.)
- A stipend of $100 per week to help pay for meals not included with the residency or provided by volunteers.
- MASS MoCA member benefits for the duration of the residency, including free access to the museum’s galleries and discounts on performing arts events and museum store purchases.
- Free access to Makers’ Mill, a printmaking and fiber arts makerspace on Main Street in North Adams (a short walk from the museum), offering shared use of relief press, etching presses, silkscreen and book arts equipment, as well as looms, sewing machines, small tools and work tables.
- Optional one-on-one artist-focused financial and business coaching through the staff of MASS MoCA’s Assets for Artists program (www.assetsforartists.org), helping artists and writers in all disciplines strengthen the business side of their artistic practice.
Eligibility: We welcome applications from artists in Puerto Rico at all career stages, income levels, and disciplines (painters, sculptors, installation artists, writers, fiber artists, printmakers, performers, designers, photographers, filmmakers, etc.) whose practice allows them to work quietly (no loud power tools may be used in the studios, and no music out loud – headphones only), and whose practice has been made more difficult by the impacts of Hurricanes Irma and Maria, including artists who have been displaced from the island by the disaster. The studios have light-duty ventilation, so an art practice generating strong fumes cannot be accommodated.
Fee: There is no fee to apply, and the normal $650/week full-price fee will be waived for the selected artists, and additional assistance will be provided for travel and meals.