State to launch Fan-Favorite Town program, June 12
The state’s annual Fan-Favorite: Town program will be launching next month – and now is the time to plan how you will mobilize people to vote for you to win the coveted accolade of still revolutionary Fan-Favorite Town, and destination, of the year!
Starting June 12, residents and visitors will be asked to vote on the Visit Connecticut Facebook page (via designated tab).
We encourage you to take advantage of this program to promote your town and/or business destination or attraction. Last year, Niantic won big by mobilizing more than 30 destinations in their town to participate in a fun promotional video. Organize with other destinations, post to social media, share the voting link at point of sale, post flyers to excite the community and more – the sky is the limit on your creativity!
Fan-Favorite Town seeks to shine a spotlight on the state’s unique towns and experiences. The socially-driven program calls for people to vote for the Connecticut town that they think most embodies the spirit of the state’s brand, still revolutionary — a haven for original ideas and innovation that offers a dynamic blend of experiences. Participants will also have the opportunity to vote for their favorite business, destination or attraction within that town. By voting they will automatically be entered to win a Connecticut getaway.
New initiative from the Connecticut Office of the Arts (COA)
The Art in Public Spaces Program has developed a new Facebook page dedicated to a deeper discussion of place-making in Connecticut.
The page pulls together the arts, historic preservation, tourism, innovation and branding into one area. Visit and follow www.facebook.com/CTPowerOfPlace to join the discussion.
CT Office of Tourism launches new tourism campaign
If you were not able to attend the Connecticut Conference on Tourism at the Hartford Convention Center on April 24 click here for the 2014 Connecticut Tourism campaign at a glance.
Discover New England comes to Mystic Country
From May 19-21, the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa was filled with tourism professionals and international tour operators from around the world for the Discover New England Annual Tourism Summit and International Marketplace.
Each year Discover New England (DNE) hosts 80+ international tour operators and U.S. receptive operators. These individuals meet with New England tourism representatives from lodging properties, attractions, destination marketing organizations and state tourism offices to learn about travel products, establish relationships and initiate contracts for both group tours and foreign independent travelers (FIT).
In addition to being a Gold Sponsor of the Summit, the Eastern Regional Tourism District/Mystic Country accompanied the international buyers on various excursions throughout the region as well as provided volunteers to help with the Marketplace. Thanks go to the following volunteers: Kristin Havrilla Clarke, Rita Rivera, Dave Labrie, Elsie Bissett, Laurie Masciandaro, Richelle Meneses, Cole Riemer and Karin, Emilie and Margit Burgess. Brochure partners with ERTD/Mystic Country included: Florence Griswold Museum, Willimantic Brewing Company, Mystic Seaport, Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center, Town of Groton – Economic Development, Roseland Cottage, Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Olde Mistick Village. Rave reviews were given to the Mystic Marriott for their outstanding food and service.
Click here to read more about the event.
Mystic Country CT bests
The “Best of 2014” issues are out and here are the results this year:
YANKEE MAGAZINE – 2014 Editor’s Choice Awards for Eastern Connecticut:
• Best Tropical Green House: Logee’s Greenhouses, Danielson
• Best Antique Shop: The Past Antiques Market & Museum, Oakdale
• Best Tea Shop: Celebrations Gallery & Shoppes, Pomfret
• Best Lighthouse Tours: Custom House Maritime Museum, New London
• Best Garden Lover’s B&B: Roseledge Inn & Farm Shoppe, Preston
• Best Pet-Friendly B&B: Daniel Rust House, Coventry
• Best View: Orchard Street Inn, Stonington
• Best Dairy Bar: The Farmer’s Cow Calfé, Mansfield
• Best Pastry Shop: Cakettes Coffee Shop, Thompson
• Best Fine Dining: Golden Lamb Buttery, Brooklyn
• Best Water View Grill: S&P Oyster Company, Mystic
• Best Roller Rink: Galaxy Roller Rink, Groton
• Best Aquarium Experience: Mystic Aquarium, Mystic
• Best Lakeside Park: Roseland Park, Woodstock
• Best Forest Flower Hideaway: Rhododendron Sanctuary, Voluntown
The top 20 Connecticut Events selected by Yankee Magazine:
• May 30-June 15: Old Lyme – Florence Griswold Museum’s Garden Fest
• June 12-15: Mystic – Mystic Seaport’s 35th Sea Music Festival
• July 5-6: Niantic – Arts & Craft Show and 36th Annual Lobsterfest
• July 11-13: New London – Sailfest
• August 9-10: Mystic – Greater Mystic Chamber of Commerce’s Outdoor Art Festival
• August 21-24: Brooklyn – Brooklyn Fair
Advocate Best of Hartford Readers’ Poll 2014
Willimantic Brewing Company, Willimantic:
• Best Bar
• Best Bathroom
• Best Beer Selection in Bottles
• Best Brew Pub
• Best Happy Hour
• Best Place to Eat at the Bar
• Best Place to Hook Up
• Best Beer Selection in a Bar
• Best Beer to Impress Your Beer Snob Friends
• Best Lunch
• Best Catering
Jamaican Me Crazy, Willimantic:
• Best Jamaican Restaurant
Sharpe Hill Vineyard, Pomfret:
• Best Locally Made Wine
Coventry Regional Farmers’ Market, Coventry:
• Best Farmers Market/Farm Stand
Mystic Country, Connecticut in the news:
Yankee Magazine, May/June 2014; Best of New England Issue. 15 Eastern Connecticut Bests and 6 events featured.
AAA Journeys, May/June 2014; Connecticut Carousels and Formidable Forts articles include eastern Connecticut venues. Area events also featured.
SouthShoreSenior.com, May 2014; 2014-2015 Mystic Country region Visitors Guide
The Hartford Courant, April 29, 2014; Brochure swaps May 6 and 7 in Pomfret and Mystic
Boston Globe, April 19, 2014; The house of O’Neill lived in and staged
The Telegraph, UK, April 3, 2014; TRAVEL section. US Road Trip New England in an RV
GroupTravelPlanner.com, Mystic Country destinations added to Mystic Country section
GoNewEngland.com, April 2014; April in New England
GoNewEngland.com, SummerFestivals A-Z, April 2014
GoNewEngland.com, UCONN Parade 2014
Easter Egg Hunt listings appeared in numerous publications. Mystic Country’s Easter image ran on the cover of The Day’s Night & Day publication.